Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Just a letter

An Open Letter to Marv Films:


In your 2009 film Harry Brown, there is a startling parallel to the staged riot in estate and the actual riots that have rocked the cities of London, Birmingham, Liverpool, Nottingham, Bristol, Medway and Leicester. Whenever I think about the footage that was captured I can't help but recall one of Michael Caine's best lines in the film: "...to them out there, this is just entertainment." I understand that being an outsider looking, I will not totally get what and how it happened. Still, after everything I've seen, I think your work of fiction contains more fact than any other film. Somehow you've managed to capture such a realistic state of anarchy. I commend you for frightening and educating me. I hope that in future you continue to show all of humanity's colors, even those we would rather not see.

Sincerely

-Ari Brown